Cherry Health Benefits

Nutritional values of cherries

The nutritional benefits of cherries are wide ranging and varied. The fruit is acknowledged to play a pivotal role in controlling cholesterol, easing aching joints and improving eyesight and sleep patterns.

Cherries are a fantastic source of invaluable minerals including iron, potassium, magnesium, copper and calcium. They also contain Vitamins A, C and K as well as riboflavin and thiamine.

A 100g portion of cherries will typically only contain 50-60 kcal. They are low in sodium, cholesterol and saturated fat and many people who are attempting weight loss are encouraged to consume cherries instead of most other popular fruits.

Composition

There are two categories of cherries, the sweet cherry and the sour or tart cherry. About 80% of a cherry is water. The rest consists of sugar (7-20%), membranes and other beneficial minerals. The nutritional values for some vitamins and mineral nutrient are below.

Sweet Cherries (per 100g) Sour Cherries (per 100g)

 

Vitamin C 7mg Iron 0.4mg Vitamin C 10mg Iron 0.5mg
Vitamin A 64 IU Pantothenic Acid 0.2mg Vitamin A 1283 IU Pantothenic Acid 0.1mg
Vitamin K 2.1mg Niacin 0.2mg Vitamin K 2.1mg Niacin 0.4mg
Vitamin E 0.1mg Phosphorus 0.2mg Vitamin E 0.1mg Phosphorous 0.2mg
Water 58mg Copper 0.5mg Water 59mg Copper 0.6mg
Calcium 1.2mg Zinc 0.4mg Calcium 1.2mg Zinc 0.3mg
Magnesium 1.1mg Saturated Fat 0.4mg Magnesium 1.1mg Saturated Fat 0.2mg
Potassium 1.3mg Ash 0.2mg Potassium 1.4mg Ash 0.1mg

 

Cherry Juice Benefits

Cherry juice contains melatonin. Melatonin combats inflammation and is regarded as being 10 times more effective than aspirin. It also aids the immune system in staving off illness. Cherry juice releases very powerful anti-oxidants that fight against cancer and heart disease when consumed regularly.

Cherry Extract Benefits

Cherry extract comes in capsule form and essentially packs all of the nutrients into a supplement to be consumed daily in order to achieve the recommended daily amount of some of the vitamins listed above.

The Difference Between Sweet and Tart Cherries

There is very little to in terms of the nutritional benefits offered by each category of cherry. When consumed raw, they offer their highest level of benefit in health terms. As tart cherries are generally eaten after baking, they lose many nutrients during the process, so it is of more benefit to consume the sweet cherry as these are eaten on their own raw and are tasty.

While many fruits are often misinterpreted to be of higher nutritional benefit than they should be due to their high fructose (sugar) content, cherries are one of the few fruits whose benefits come without a catch. They taste good, they are great in a variety of dishes, and they are proven to have many health benefits.